Re: Fw: Where is the edge of the Internet?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Nov 05 15:07:08 2002

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 01:27:21 +0530, alok <[email protected]>  said:
> -------------> who does? the source is reachable.......via BGP.....its a
> valid internet address...

Hold that thought for a bit, and remember that at least *some* of us were
discussing whether to drop packets if we *DONT* have a route to the source.

> ......there are enuf asymmetric networks, i can assure of of that... for
> one, you could simply try running a traceroute to some tracert sites from ur
> PC and a reverse trace from those servers to you.... ull find lots...

And the point is, that even *WITH* an assymetric route, that if I *DONT*
have a route back to you *somehow*,  it's probably time for me to toss the
packet out the window.  There's a distinction between "the route to the
source goes out an interface other than the one the packet arrived on"
and "there is no route to the source at all, via any interface".