Re: Where is the edge of the Internet?

  • From: Martin
  • Date: Tue Nov 05 03:37:59 2002

$author = "alok" ;

> do most SPs/IXs actually have the entire BGP routing table with them?

how longs that piece of string?

there are many ways to design a network. you can have no BGP feeds (defaults
+ static), you can have no full BGP feeds (maybe "customer only" feed across
a peering circuit + defaults), a full house of BGP feeds (different views
from multiple providers / peers) or some other variation on these themes
(for large quantities of variations).

you don't need every router carrying the entire table either, you can
structure the network so that a subset of routers carry whatever counts as
your "full table".

> so that every network in the world which is registered is availble to them
> in some form or another?

you either run with a default (which fills in any gaps in the routing table)
or defaultless (where you need a full table). you can run both (default free
core, defaults at the edges). just depends on what BGP views you have and
how you structure your network.

marty

--
So stay tonight. Quietly. Half awake. But half asleep.
There's no one home. No one's here. So quietly.

"Something New" - Art of Fighting