Re: BGP security in practice

  • From: alex
  • Date: Mon Nov 04 13:14:18 2002

> I didn't say that MD5 would solve the configuration problems, but
> that the fact that just mis-configuration errors can cause lots of
> damage should clue people into the fact that the protocol has
> vulnerabilities to deliberate attack.

Every protocol is vulnerable if the principals are mis-configured (i.e. do not
follow the protocol).

The protocol for crossing a busy street at the light involves checking for
the green light before crossing the street. A mis-configured principal checks
the light, ignores red or yellow, and immediately crosses. Does it mean that
the protocol is broken or does it mean that a principal is broken?

Alex

P.S. In this specific case I am strictly looking at "misconfiguration causes
problems" implies brokenness of the protocol.