Re: ICANN Targets DDoS Attacks

  • From: Crist J. Clark
  • Date: Thu Oct 31 12:58:50 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:13:11PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:35:38 PST, "Crist J. Clark" said:
>
> (OK.. *technically*, Christ is correct.. you can't tell.. but still)
>
> > On the classless Internet, how does any router know what is or is not
> > a broadcast address when the final destination is not local?
>
> Bitch bitch whine whine.

I didn't mean it to take that tone. I didn't understand what you were
trying to propose. I assumed that either (a) I was missing something
obvious or (b) there was an implicit assumption somewhere in your
statement that I didn't pick up. It looks like you were talking about
filtering IP directed broadcasts on routers destined to _your own_
customers. I hadn't picked up on that. I thought you were just going
to be dropping broadcasts crossing your network. (period)

The first, dropping broadcasts destined to your customers, is possibly
doable, but not trivial. The second, catching all broadcasts coming
in, out, or just passing through, is pretty much impossible.
--
Crist J. Clark                     |     [email protected]
http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     [email protected]