Re: ICANN Targets DDoS Attacks

  • From: Crist J. Clark
  • Date: Wed Oct 30 16:40:40 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:00:06 -0500, [email protected] wrote,
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:48:39 PST, Jeff Shultz said:
>
> > >Smurf.
>
> > Okay. What will this do to my user's ping and traceroute times, if
> > anything? I've got users who tend to panic if their latency hits 250ms
> > between here and the moon (slight exaggeration, but only slight).
> >
> > I just love it when I've got people blaming me because the 20th hop on
> > a traceroute starts returning  * * * instead of times.
>
> So you rate limit it to several/second or something appropriate for the normal
> traffic levels.  You don't allow ping/traceroute to broadcast addresses.

On the classless Internet, how does any router know what is or is not
a broadcast address when the final destination is not local?
--
Crist J. Clark                     |     [email protected]
http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     [email protected]