Re: no ip forged-source-address

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Wed Oct 30 14:28:37 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 [email protected] wrote:

If every router in the world did this I could still use spoofed IP
addresses and DDOS someone.  My little program could determine what subnet
I am on, check what other hosts are alive on the subnet and then when it
decides to attack, it would use some neighbor's IP.  The subnet I am on is
a /24 and there very well may be a few dozen hosts.  I could be real
sneaky and alter my IP randomly to be any of my neighbors for every packet
I send out.

Traceback would get me instantly back to the offending subnet but then it
would take a bit of digging on the network admin to track me down and
applying RPF checking won't help.

RPF checking can only go so far.  You would need RPF checking down to the
host level and I haven't heard anyone discuss that yet.

-Hank