Re: ICANN Targets DDoS Attacks

  • From: Jeff Shultz
  • Date: Tue Oct 29 15:53:08 2002

On 10/29/2002 at 3:40 PM [email protected] wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:25:44 +0200, Petri Helenius <[email protected]>
said:

>> Why would you like to regulate my ability to transmit and receive
data
>> using ECHO and ECHO_REPLY packets? Why they are considered
>> harmful?
>
>Smurf.

Okay. What will this do to my user's ping and traceroute times, if
anything? I've got users who tend to panic if their latency hits 250ms
between here and the moon (slight exaggeration, but only slight).

I just love it when I've got people blaming me because the 20th hop on
a traceroute starts returning  * * * instead of times.

--
Jeff Shultz
Network Support Technician