Re: More federal management of key components of the Internet needed

  • From: Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Date: Thu Oct 24 08:21:26 2002

Alan Hannan wrote:

> > I don't understand how giving the US federal government management control
> > of key components of the Internet will make it more secure.
>
>   It worked for airline security.

Sure, searching Ray Charles makes me feel much safer. Asking me whether any
one helped me packed my bags or handed me a package always shows whether or
not I should be trusted to get on the plane. Stopping a little boy from
taking on a toy with a 1 inch long gun makes me feel safer too. These are
the same people who can't be trusted to make sure that your luggage flies
the same flight you do. Puh-leeze.

There is not one single thing that goes on in airport "security" that
contributes one whit to actual security.

...and surely you aren't suggesting that you want those same people to run
the root servers. I'm just glad they aren't all in the US (so that there
can be no preemptive strike by some poser-crazed congress critter).

--
Only the mediocre are always at their best.
                Jean Giraudoux