Re: Testing root server down code

  • From: Martin J. Levy
  • Date: Wed Oct 23 15:20:07 2002

Steve,

You said...

>Microsoft DNS has a poor response and can spin out of control with all root
>servers available.. how would you tell the difference ;)

This just in... The RPSEC mailing list has the recommendation to the Government (US that is) on both BGP and DNS.

>ISP BGP & DNS Working Group
>Working Paper developed as part of the NSTAC Process - Not for Further Dissemination

(If your not meant to disseminate it, then why did it end up on the RPSEC mailing list?)

Here is what it says about DNS...

>Recommendations for DNS
>
>1. Encourage physical diversity (both network and geographic) for top-level domain servers.
>
>2. Encourage greater software diversity for DNS sever systems.  Currently most DNS servers are based on the BIND Berkeley Internet Name Domain code base.  There is also a Microsoft Windows version of DNS that very few groups currently run.
>3. ...

Hence... At least in the US (and I can't say for the rest of the world), the government have been recommended to consider Microsoft's version of DNS.

Will the UK Government follow in the US's footsteps?

Martin