Re: Input requested for second edition of "Firewalls and InternetSecurity"

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Oct 20 17:15:55 2002

What are the current thoughts about firewalls and Internet security.
The problem is the complexity level of trying to maintain those
perimeters, DMZs and firewalls is increasing.  Massive firewall
complexes with swiss-cheese rules, and huge network perimeters with
numerous external access points are very difficult to manage.

Although many of the oldest firewall creators have long pointed out the
limitations of firewalls, currently practicing security consultants
rely mostly on Internet security designs with firewalls, DMZs and defining
perimeters.  This may be partly because some security consulting firms
are also VARs for firewall vendors; but I don't think its that simple.

Currently my favorite summary of the issues, and one potential alternate
security design is

Network Security Credo
T. Gray, et al
University of Washington
http://staff.washington.edu/gray/papers/credo.html

What may be more interesting to NANOG is what should be the model Internet
security architecture for public network operators?  How do you define a
security perimeter?  Should ISPs install firewalls at every external
Internet connection?  Is there a different between carrier-grade security
and enterprise-grade network security requirements?

Is the Orange Book really dead?