RE: attacking DDOS using BGP communities?

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Fri Oct 18 10:39:57 2002

Inline comments below...

--Chris
([email protected])
## UUNET Technologies, Inc.                          ##
## Manager                                           ##
## Customer Router Security Engineering Team         ##
## (W)703-886-3823 (C)703-338-7319                   ##

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> Interesting -- I was actually having a conversation about this very same
> thing with a friend of mine a few days ago.  The problem we had, was
> that he had next-hop-self on all of his ibgp mesh routers.  Does that
> not make it difficult to put an ip next-hop in?  Also, would that ip
> next-hop be propagated throughout his mesh or would that same route-map
> have to be present on all the edge routers?

Not difficult at all, I'll post out sample config bits before NANOG in
Eugene :) (they are about half done... I'm just lazy)

> The other thing we were toying with was a setting the administrative
> distance for said black-holed route to be less than that of his igp and
> having his IGP route to 127.0.0.1 or something.

Yikes... Just go with the simple solution :) Blackhole routes work just
fine in bgp, sample blackhole route server configs exist at:
	http://www.secsup.org/Tracking/

for both Juniper and Cisco... and someone was going to forward me Foundry
configs at one point too :)

> The whole goal was to try and kill the route as close to the source as
> possible so as not to have the traffic traverse the core.  The question
> is, how to?

Once you look beyond your ASN it gets very difficult to determine where
the traffic is originating, unless the next ASN is terminal...

Anyway, I'll get some configs at:
	http://www.secsup.org/CustomerBlackHole/

In the coming days.