Re: [Re: the cost of carrying routes]

  • From: Ratul Mahajan
  • Date: Thu Oct 17 12:50:16 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Joshua Smith wrote:

> they could probably make some good money if they also charged for 'leaky'
> networks - however, i think the sentiment amongst their customers would
> not be favorable (you charge for misconfigurations?  some nerve you have)
> it is probably one of those long term goals that you will almost never be
> able to convince the powers-that-be of undertaking.

but i do pay for mistakes i make in other industries -- i pay for late
credit card payments and for parking where i should not. and these fines
keep me on my feet, and i try to blunder less often. why are running
networks different?

whats the incentive today to not make mistakes while running a network,
especially mistakes those that don't hurt yourself much? there is only
some amount of social pressure i think. wouldn't configuration errors go
down if providers/peers were to charge less for well-managed networks, or
charge more for poorly managed networks?

convincing customers just might be a matter of saying the right things.
for instance, "our services cost $Z in general, but if we find that you
manage your network well (some quantification), you pay only $Z-z (and
optionally, if you manage it very poorly, you pay $Z+z')."

	-- ratul

ps:  since i don't run networks myself, all of this may be something that is
obviously asinine.  would be great if someone was to point out if that is
the case, and why.