Re: sprint passes uu?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Oct 15 17:27:31 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:03:17 EDT, Richard A Steenbergen <[email protected]>  said:

> Looks like UU routes have been steadily falling, dunno if they aggregated
> (hah!) or just lost customers due to, well, you know. But by the metrics
> people/reporters have been using to declare UU "half the internet", it
> looks like they're now #2.

Well.. yeah.. but my hypothetical 64 /8's are twice address space than
your hypothetical 2,097,152 /24's.

About the only conclusion that you can *safely* draw is that Sprint has a
more complicated network than UU does.  Now *hopefully*, they have more
customers too, or the Sprint backbone engineers will have to carry a much
higher complexity/customer ratio, which means when the senior engineers finally
snap under the pressure, we'll get junior engineers making weird work-arounds
that will just complicate things 5 years down the road.

Oh wait.. that already happened at most carriers, didn't it? That's where we
got the CURRENT crop of senior engineers.. ;)

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer