Re: NMS/ OSS commercial software ?

  • From: Niels Bakker
  • Date: Wed Oct 09 06:37:04 2002

* [email protected] (Jim Popovitch) [Wed 09 Oct 2002, 05:48 CEST]:
> Does anyone have any real references for Smarts?  Seems like all they
> have are partners and sales to companies that buy one of everything.
> Any one willing to use their company email address and state that they
> use Smarts?  Saying that it is wonderful from bakker.net and domino.org
> doesn't lend it much credibility. ;)

That's mostly a matter of habit and ease-of-use; my NANOG subscription
so far outlasts my previous three employments. ;)

SMARTS scalability?  Thousands and thousands of ports monitored... from
what I recall from certain documentation, 2,000 ports is `good', 5,000
is `doable' and 25,000 is `too many' (for a single installation).

* [email protected] (Neil J. McRae) [Wed 09 Oct 2002, 09:54 CEST]:
> Jim, I work for COLT, we use SMARTS across our entire IP network.
> http://www.colt.net/

Yes, the course that I mentioned I followed in my earlier mail was
together with one of your colleagues... there were experienced and very
clueful people from Cable & Wireless UK, COLT, Interoute and GlidePath
(me) at that training.  All of these companies are actively using SMARTS
and broadening the scope of their implementation.

Cheers,

	-- Niels.