Re: Who does source address validation? (was Re: what's that smell?)

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Wed Oct 09 03:04:22 2002

[email protected] (Sean Donelan) writes:

> If c.root-servers.net provider did this, they wouldn't see any RFC1918
> traffic because it would be dropped at their provider's border routers.

Right.  But then I wouldn't be able to measure it, which would be bad.

> If c.root-servers.net provider's peer did this, again c.root-servers.net
> provider wouldn't see the rfc1918 packets.

This is the single case where not being able to measure/complain would be OK,
because the problem wouldn't be "in the core", it would be (correctly) stopped
at the source-AS.

> So why doesn't c.root-servers.net provider or its peers implement this
> "simple" solution?  Its not a rhetorical question.  If it was so simple,
> I assume they would have done it already.

C-root's provider is also C-root's owner, and they have offerred to shut this
traffic off further upstream, as F-root's network operators were doing until
yesterday, but I asked that it not be filtered anywhere except C-root itself
(where I can measure it) or distant source-AS's (which is where it makes
sense.)
--
Paul Vixie