Re: iBGP next hop and multi-access media

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon Oct 07 15:39:31 2002

On Mon, 07 Oct 2002 14:16:43 CDT, Pete Templin said:

> They are dynamic routing protocols, not dynamic gateway-creation
> protocols.  You're asking iBGP to create an interface.  iBGP (and other
> dynamic routing protocols) don't do that.

I suppose they *could* - the fun then starts when you get a routing flap and
the other router tells you that you're not on one subnet because the subnet
is unreachable and would you please remove the interface?  And I'm willing
to bet that there's a lack of MD5 at the important places in the dataflow... ;)

What's puzzling me is how anybody has a big enough net that subnets are being
added fast enough that automating the process is needed, but they don't already
have a way to centrally manage the routers so they can just push the needed
'ip route 172.16.16.0 255.255.255.0 fa0/0' out somehow.
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer