Re: iBGP next hop and multi-access media

  • From: Pete Templin
  • Date: Mon Oct 07 08:40:33 2002

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

> When you setup a secondary ip on an interface
>  int fa0/0
>    ip address a.b.c.d e.f.g.h secondary
>
> How does it determine where to send the packets?  ARP.
> Which is the same as adding the route described above.

>From what I've read so far, it looks like you're asking for is more like
automatic discovery of new subnets local to a given segment, followed by
preferential route selection similar to HSRP.

Except above, you're claiming that adding a secondary interface is the
same as adding a route.  It's not, as adding the secondary interface
provides a logical link between a layer 3 address and a layer 2 address,
so that ARP is not needed to find the next-(layer 3)-hop, only to find the
next layer 2 hop.

Again, let's move routing 101 to different venue.

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr., CCNP, CCDP
Networking Consultant

On-Line Internet Services - URDirect.net
A division of Global On-Line Computers
5606 Randolph Blvd		[email protected]
San Antonio, TX 78233		(210)692-9911