Re: redistribute bgp considered harmful

  • From: Nigel Taylor
  • Date: Fri Oct 04 22:51:11 2002

Sean,
        See Inline...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Donelan" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 6:01 PM
Subject: redistribute bgp considered harmful

> Should the Service Provider version of routing software include the
> redistribute bgp command?  Other than CCIE labs, I haven't seen a
> real-world use for redistributing the BGP route table into any IGP.

          Certainly a case can be made for the use of the redistribute bgp
command when it comes to route-reflection and confederations.  I know of a
couple enterprises that make use of the command in order to maintain
consistent route information throughout their core(which happens to run
eigrp). As well, depending on the size of the enterprise this could prove to
be a valuable asset.

> If the command was removed (or included a Are your sure? question) what
> would the affect be on ISPs, other than improving reliability by
> stopping network engineers from fubaring a backbone?

I think the command itself provides the same funcionalty as cisco "backdoor"
command in that it allows for the mistakes made by man, since
computer(routers) don't make mistakes..:-)  This really come down to the
orginal design of the network and if the "requirements" were completely
identified before implementation, unlike the real world scanerio which is
normally the opposite.

Nigel