Re: Internet Core Routing - Ethernet

  • From: Bob Martinez
  • Date: Sun Sep 29 14:15:35 2002

Alex:

Wrong. None of the vendors wants to help you what so ever. What they want to
do is to have you spend your money with them by claiming that they want to
help you.
Cool, I respect that attitude. At least now I know how to deal with you. The glass is half empty.

> Wouldn't you rather have a reliable, redundant L2 core with isolated
> failures and fast recovery?

No. I hate complicated words and complicated concepts. It reminds me NASA
spending 10M to invent a pen that writes in 0 gravity instead of using a
pencil.
You are the guy that posted about IBGP Nailed Routes. I love that idea. I understand your love of L3 and your design is great; however, as a service provider, you can't always rely on IP. What about Global Ethernet? The NY, Paris, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Frankfurt, Moscow, Bankok, Sydney, Hong Kong, London, Cairo, Los Angeles, Jerusalem, Toronto, Mexico City, Rio (Can I manage this one?) Internet Exchange? MPLS VPLS over Ethernet Anybody? Use your nailed routes trick in the middle (MPLS side) and L2 peering exchanges in each city. Only problem with this is complexity. Do this alone or with few partners and you may be able to pull it off completely L2 without the cost of complexity. Simple like you said. Gotta work on the reliability part though. Test. I'd like to test in Paris, London, Jerusalem, and Toronto. I haven't been to those places yet and I got this cool digital camera. Please don't shoot when you see a Mexican (American) who can't speak Spanish.

> Ethernet is my digital wrapper of choice because of vendor chipsets
> supporting it and quality product.

Yeah, ethernet over what, carrier pigeons?
That will work, but I don't think carrier pigeons are Internet Core unless there has been major pigeon development I'm unaware of. Good question.. 1G (.z and .ad aggregates), 2.5G (POS), 10G (.az), 20G (.ad), 40G (.ad), beyond are more of the realm we are in nowadays huh? I suppose you can use WDM equipment and get an 802.3ad 100G trunk someday, but then again the assumption is that single flows would not be more than 10G :-)

Bobby