Re: Internet Core Routing - Ethernet

  • From: Mike Leber
  • Date: Sat Sep 28 03:24:01 2002

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Bob Martinez wrote:
> 1.  Why are you talking about vendors when you should be talking about
> technology on this list.  Just like the charters.  I would recommend to
> NANOG "if you disagree, say nay" that any post to NANOG with a vendor name
> in it be sent to the vendor for comment before being posted to the list.
> Just my 2 cents here.

Operations has alot to do with experience with specific equipment, more so
then it does abstracted conversations about theoretical configurations.

There are abundant protocols that lack implementation.  Many people
believe they can instantiate an implementation by writing an RFC, or so
you would get the impression by reading RFCs.

Regarding "be sent to the vendor for comment before being posted", your
question about "Does vendor Z have wire-speed X?" has produced outright
lies for the last 10 years.  There is *always* a catch to any such claims
regarding routers.

Take posts to NANOG with a grain of salt.  There is a large range of
experience.

BTW, you listed a bunch of questions.  Please post a specific one you want
to know about.  You might get it answered.

| Mike Leber           Direct Internet Connections   Voice 510 580 4100 |
| Hurricane Electric     Web Hosting  Colocation       Fax 510 580 4151 |
| [email protected]                                       http://www.he.net |