Re: AP IX locations

  • From: German Martinez
  • Date: Thu Sep 26 12:05:32 2002

> > |I'm looking to improve my connectivity into the AP region, in
> > |a cost effective [i.e. for as little as possible :-)]. I have
> > |ruled out buying transit as it doesn't help the issue that I'm
> > |trying to resolve, so I was wondering if there was a location/IXP
> > |in the AP region that would enable me to interconnect with
> > |as many AP carriers as possible.
> >
> > sadly the best spot to interconnect is not in the AP region, its in Palo
> > Alto.
>
> Is this really still true?

Some big carriers that owns lots of transpacific capacity you will see
them colocated in places like Palo Alto (PAIX) or Equinix LA.  Therefore
to increase their transit/peering capacity they will have to order just a
cross connect.  IMHO, it is a good and scalable approach and easy to
manage.

If you have a good customer base in Asia you should go and do "regional
peering" in the local IXs (i.e KIX, HKIX, JPIX etc).  If you want to be
competitive in that market and keep your customers happy, IMHO you should
go for this, otherwise as you stated, packets for intra Asia traffic will
flow to the West Coast and then come back to Asia.