Re: Wireless insecurity at NANOG meetings

  • From: David Diaz
  • Date: Mon Sep 23 10:21:59 2002

Actually, from a legal standpoint, you put locks on the door same reason as u would on the wireless. Otherwise an invitation could be implied. It's hard for someone to argue that they were invited if they had to use breakin tools. Otherwise I dont think anyone would have a case, public area, public use lan.... If I was walking through a hotel and found an open LAN I would assume it was there for a perk of the hotel.

I still dont see the problem with either side of this discussion. If we had a minor amount of security, I think the nanog goers could easily figure it out. If not, a little friendly assistance from the person sitting next to you and you might just have made a friend. Payoff with a simple beer later would suffice.

Actually I believe it was Bill Woodcock that sent me mac drivers back in 1997 for the wireless. I may still owe him a beer though.

dave