Pricing model for transit services

  • From: Olivier Bonaventure
  • Date: Mon Sep 23 05:35:22 2002

Hello,

We are working on a research project on interdomain traffic engineering and
would like to quantitatively evaluate interdomain traffic engineering
solutions in a realistic way. We have a BGP simulator that allows us to
simulate networks with a few hundreds of AS and are adding several mechanisms
to this simulator.

To complement the simulator, we are looking for realistic cost models of
transit services. Since we do not buy transit services, we have some difficulties
finding this information. For the moment, our cost models are the following :

- flat fee for a L Mbps link

- volume based, y $ per Mbps (95% quantile) for a L Mbps link

- burstable, flat fee for x Mbps on a L Mbps and z $ per Mbps above x

We would like to know whether these three cost models accurately reflect
the current pricing schemes of transit services and what are the most
popular ones ?

If you know other pricing schemes that should be taken into account, we
would appreciate to have additional information. I heard of
destination-based pricing schemes, but do not have enough details on them
and don't know whether they are frequently used.

You can either answer directly to us ([email protected]
and [email protected]) and we will summarize or directly to the list.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Olivier Bonaventure

---
http://www.infonet.fundp.ac.be