Re: Wireless insecurity at NANOG meetings

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Sat Sep 21 19:43:03 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Are network operators really that clueless about security, or perhaps we
> need to step back and re-think.  What are we really trying to protect?

This is often something that gets forgotten.. people are so hyped up about
network security they can easily end up with ultra secure systems that really
arent worth it for the data thats there..

> Banks are mostly concerned about people defrauding the bank, not the
> bank's customers.  Banks rarely check the signature on a check.  Is
> security just perception?

This is a case of your only as good as the weakest link.. I point this sort of
abstract thing out too. My usual examples are the office computers which tend to
be laptops kept overnight in empty unlocked rooms with no password on them;
people spend so much time getting secure VPNs and secure email setup they forget
if someone really wanted the data they'd just walk right in and remove the
hardware.

Doesnt mean we shouldnt maintain a high level of security and be vigilent, but
it does mean we should make sure we cover all angles.

I like your cheque example, again I pick on credit cards.. the banks get so
paranoid on internet shopping and yet its very common for fraud to occur because
of who sees your card when you're out shopping at the local store...

Think big picture!

Steve