RE: Wireless insecurity at NANOG meetings

  • From: Sameer R. Manek
  • Date: Sat Sep 21 19:23:50 2002

Terminal Rooms are no different then an internet cafe, you are using an
untrusted system to access an untrusted network, and should be treated as
such.

The wireless network, is just an untrusted network, send over it what you
would send over such a network. There is honor among thieves, but none among
idle network admins who left their nerf guns back at the office. ssh, or
encrypted vpn traffic is the only thing that should be sent over the network
to connect to remote systems.

Enabling WEP or setting a difficult to guess SSID would be silly, given that
it is a public network, the SSID would probably posted in the terminal room
anyways. Plus there are numerous tools to decrypt WEP in almost real time,
with 400 stations, it wouldn't take long to gather the needed packets.

Ultimately security is the responsibility of the person or organization
affected by the lack of it. Which is something most people fail to realize
consistantly.

Sameer