Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

  • From: Barney Wolff
  • Date: Wed Sep 18 01:36:03 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 08:29:39PM -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:

> 3.  SMTPAUTH does not require an alternate port, yet it is sufficient for
> ensuring accountability.  Hence it is sufficient for dealing with the
> reason that port 25 is blocked, without requiring that it be blocked.

I don't understand this reasoning.  The ISP's justification for blocking
25 except to its own servers is to avoid having its facilities used
for abuse.  How would the local ISP enforce use of SMTPAUTH to connect
to some remote ISP?

--
Barney Wolff
I'm available by contract or FT:  http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf