RE: Recent NANOG postings

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Mon Sep 16 15:50:49 2002

RD> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:01:31 -0400 (EDT)
RD> From: Ralph Doncaster

RD> Since Hushmail offers free accounts the original offender can
RD> just sign up again under another anonymous ID and start the
RD> process all over.  It would seem the offender has mocked not
RD> only myself and Susan, but the process for keeping unwanted

...and Phil Rosenthal, Randy Bush, and whoever "Sal Sabella" is a
spoof of.

Ralph, I've been publically mocked, called "one of the most
dangerous criminals on the Internet", accused of "inciting others
to break laws", and other cheery things.  Those are direct ad
hominem attacks, and quite possibly libel or defamation.  IANAL,
though, and I don't pretend to be.

RD> posters off the list.  At some point in the future it may
RD> become necessary to block whole domains from having posting
RD> privileges.

It almost seems like that might be a/the goal.  For all we know,
someone could be spoofing {him|her}self in an attempt to cry
"victim" and have Hushmail blocked.  I have no problem with
Hushmail being disallowed (part of list AUP is to have real name
present), but others indicated fear of employers catching them
posting. *shrug*  It's not my mailing list.

Perhaps new subscribers from "suspicious" domains could be
moderated for, say, the first 10-20 posts.  That would help cut
down on the trash without being a huge administrative hassle.  Or
maybe being a harsh dictator and cutting down OT threads will
help deal with things from a social slant.

The on-topic discussion over the weekend was nice while it
lasted...

Maybe the novelty will wear off before everyone on NANOG is
spoofed.  Maybe we can have some actual operational discussions
again.  Or, failing that, a quiet NANOG-L is not a bad thing.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national