Re: Top AS Offenders causing RFC-1918 DNS traffic

  • From: Henry Yen
  • Date: Sat Sep 14 20:37:48 2002

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 05:09:02AM -0700, Sameer R. Manek wrote:
> Since Win2k and I assume XP both attempt to perform dynamic dns updates,
> hosts behind NAT, windows will happily send the update requests up the dns
> tree as far as it can. When @Home was around, the primary name servers for
> home.com used to see update attempts constantly.
>
> Paul Vixie has posted in here statistics about the root levels getting
> hammered by such update attempts in the past.
>
> Any technical solution performed at the network level would be a bubble gum
> and duct tape attempt to fix what was poorly engineered at the software
> level. Since it's unlikely Microsoft will issue some sort of fix to the
> problem.

at URL: http://www.caida.org/outreach/presentations/dns0209/mgp00021.txt
      malformed A queries were 14% of the load at F.root
      asking for the IP address of an IP address
      example: "A 206.168.0.4" - should not happen
      guilty: Microsoft Win2k resolver, viruses (win95/98/nt), macOSX resolver
 -->  (good news: with our help, Microsoft found and fixed
 -->  this bug in Win2k (although the way to turn off a
      bad default configuration is 6 or so menus deep...)
--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York