RE: Overcoming IPv6 Security Threat

  • From: Joe Baptista
  • Date: Thu Sep 12 20:39:10 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Joe Baptista wrote:
>
> > Thanks to everyone who helped out.
> But you didn't actually read now did you?
> Oh well you are a reporter nobody can blame you for doing work ;)
> But to pull some things straight:
>
> " IPv6, a suite of protocols for the network layer,
>  uses IPv4 gateways to interconnect IPv6 nodes and comes
>  prepackaged with some popular operating systems. "
>
> Cool, so *NATIVE* IPv6 doesn't exist?
> Many transitional techniques use intermediate IPv4 hops to
> connect IPv6 islands, that doesn't mean everything uses it.
>
> http://unfix.org/projects/ipv6/IPv6andIPv4.gif

I'm sure it does - but i'll be damed if i can find it.  I have managed to
connect to the 6to4.  Would love to connect direct to the 6bone - but have
yet to find a means to do it without some ipv4 connectivity.

> "IPv6 has suffered bad press over privacy issues.
>  Jim Fleming, the inventor of IPv8, a competing protocol,
>  sees many hazards and privacy flaws in existing IPv6 implementations."
>
> Competing? There is <yell>no such thing as Jim Flemings IPv8</yell>
> There is IPv8* but that is PIP (The P Internet Protocol) which is
> *NOT* the thing Mr. Fla^Heming is spamming about all the time.
> * = http://www.iana.org/assignments/version-numbers
> Maybe Mr. Fleming could write up a draft of his 'standard' sometime?
> I could start shouting that you are bad and that Man.v2 is much better
> now does that help anywhere?

I've heard alot about fleming and have seen alot of his posts.  I have
heard he's a kook from alot of people but i don't pay much attention to
that.  So far on the technical end i've had no issue with his claims.

And let's not forget - years ago I was also called a net kook - now my
name is wispered at various conferences much like priests would speak
badly of the creator with claims i'm the most dangerous man in
communications.  I assume that's a step up when laughter turns to tears
;)

Once I'm finished testing IPv6 I do plan to try IPv8 (a la fleming) and
once and for all determine if he's actually real - or just a figment of
our collective deranged imaginations.

I did ask vint if he felt IPv8 was workable.  He didn't know.  Fleming has
made alot of claims respecting vint - which he was in my opinion unable to
prove when i asked for supporting evidence.  But those claims are mainly
personal issues between them.

But when I published the article vint announced for the first time that
ipv8 existed but they decided instead on ipv6.  It's a confusing issue at
best but one i'll be looking into.

>From what I can see Ipv8 is Ipv6.  I still have not figured out what the
difference is between these two beasts.  Fleming claims IPv8 will work on
IPv6 technology.

> And one can easily change his/her local EUI so where's the problem
> there?
> One also mostly comes from the same /48 so where is the problem.

I know this - but many users don't and thats where the privacy issue
begins and ends.  I am encouraged by I think rfc 3041 which seems to
address the problem.

> "Another obstacle raised by NANOG operators is that there is currently
> no commercial demand for IPv6 at this time."
>
> Which is true in the .US and mostly true in europe, but in Asia there
> is demand and IPv6 is happening. And that America is lagging behind ah
> well ;)

correct and thats mainly in G3 which vint addressed.

by the way - very nice site.  www.unfix.org - i didn't know putty had ipv6
support - so i'm looking forward to testing it.  Already have my 6to4 up
in amsterdam and hope to have another node in toronto or california next
month so the putty program will be useful.  It gets boring just playing
with ping6.

By the way is there any reason why developer have not yet integrated IPv6
into the standard ping program or traceroute.  It's a bit of a bother
having to ping sites using different programs depending on the protocol.
I assume putty handles both IPv4 and IPv6 - or is there a separate putty
IPv6 program?

regards
joe baptista