Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

  • From: Rafi Sadowsky
  • Date: Tue Sep 10 16:23:19 2002

## On 2002-09-10 09:45 -0400 [email protected] typed:

> > Hi Eliot
> >
> >  Maybe I'm missing something obvious but do how you get rate-limiting per
> > TCP *flow* with Cisco IOS ?
>
> It is more trouble than its worth.

 IMHO there are other problems beside SPAM that can use per flow
shaping/rate-limiting

 > SPAM is not a technical problem. It is a
> social problem. Using technical methods is not going to solve the problem.
> In the end, every time we come up with another method of detecting and
> blocking spam, another method is bypassing this defense is going to show up.

 How about using a combination of technical and "social" measures
For example in a Cyber Cafe use passive technical measures to count the
total number of outbound SMTP sessions and charge 1$ per Email over an
average rate of 2 Emails/minute and 10$ per Email exceeding a rate of 10
per minute

--
	Rafi