Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Sep 10 11:29:15 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:45:19 EDT, [email protected] said:

> It is more trouble than its worth. SPAM is not a technical problem. It is a
> social problem. Using technical methods is not going to solve the problem.

There are two saying that come to mind:

"You can't solve social problems with technical solutions"

"There are very few inter-personal problems that can't be solved by the
suitable application of high explosives"

Most spam-fighting efforts on the technical side make the basic assumption
that spam has similar characteristics to a properly designed TCP stack - that
dropped/discarded spam-grams will trigger backoff at the sender.  Unfortunately,
discarding a high percentage of the grams will trigger a retransmit multiple
times.

Spam is likely going to be a problem until we either hire some thug muscle from
<pick ethnic organized crime group>, or the government does it for us...

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer