Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Tue Sep 10 09:20:11 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:48:57 +0200 (CEST)
 Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>
> > > Ok, suppose someone can touch type. The world record is something like
> 600
> > > key presses per minute, which is 10 41-byte TCP packets per second ~= 4
> > > kbps.
>
> > When I go to Internet cafe's (I like Global Gossip), I connect my Ti-book
> > to the local ethernet if at all possible (that's why I like Global Gossip)
> and
> > use high bit rates (i.e., file transfers) in both direction.
>
> Would the uploads be HTTP? That's the only thing I'd want to limit to a
> few kbps. (Well, and outgoing SMTP to 0 kbps.)

When I am at a cafe I use a web based encrypted email program, and
if I email a large attachment (say a pdf file), then it goes http outbound.
The other major outbound bandwidth use is scp (very rarely, ftp or ssh).

I do not really see what the touch typing limit is relevant to - whose primary
Internet use is telnet /ssh now-a-days ?

Again, when I go to a cafe in another city, I am generally there to
get some work done, and frequently have a bunch of previously prepared
files to send. I may not be a typical user...

Regards
Marshall