Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Mon Sep 09 18:43:24 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:

> >      Brad> 	No,  the traffic  budget is  on upstream  traffic, not
> >      Brad> downstream. Stream  content all you  want, but don't  try to
> >      Brad> generate too much upstream traffic or you get your bandwidth
> >      Brad> severely curtailed.

[The whole thing about port 80 upstream bandwidth limitations getting in
the way of streaming audio/video sounds like nonsense to me, since this
usually doesn't go _to_ TCP port 80, even flowing _from_ TCP port 80 is
something I haven't seen this century.]

> >  good consumer... don't try to talk. just watch the propaganda...

> 	Yeah, well.  For Internet cafe's, this is probably a fairly
> reasonable assumption.

Ok, suppose someone can touch type. The world record is something like 600
key presses per minute, which is 10 41-byte TCP packets per second ~= 4
kbps.