Re: Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

  • From: John M. Brown
  • Date: Fri Sep 06 18:27:48 2002

Actually damage to the "net" could be done with relative ease.

If you wanted to do some planning and a little staging work you could
affect large amounts of traffic.

Given recent press about large carriers moving their interconnects to
a well known IX type company, all you would have to do is place
some 7206VXR's (VXR ==  Very eXplosive Routers) in these co-lo's.
Or servers, 5U server....  Nice and big.

I wonder how much damage a couple of slots in a router full of Semtex
would do.  Then do that in multiple co-lo and use a IP packet as
a trigger to pop them all.....

Don't forget the spare parts depots as well.

PS: All the money people spend on physical stuff to keep those
on the outside out, would only help over pressure and other things
on the inside.

The issue is that Free Market places are going to do only as much as
is needed to turn a profit, and not a penny more.

This isn't the 60's or the 70's when ATT ran the infrastructure
and had bunkers around the nation....