Re: Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

  • From: sgorman1
  • Date: Fri Sep 06 15:40:42 2002

Quite a few researchers have looked at the topology of AS
interconnection.  They have found that AS connectivity follows a power
law - i.e. the vast majority have a few connections while a small
minority has the majority of connections.  Same as an earthquake -
most are small and not noticable but a few are huge, smash a boulder
and you get the same thing.  Lots of dynamic networks follow this
topology.  The upside is that they are incredibly robust to random
failures but very susceptible to targeted failures.  For details see:

http://www.physicsweb.org/article/world/14/7/09