Re: Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

  • From: batz
  • Date: Fri Sep 06 14:04:05 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Mike Tancsa wrote:

:How about network operators ? Would you be any more or less pissed and
:react differently at the motives as to why someone attacked your network
:?

To a network technician, it doesn't matter whether it's terrorists or cow
tipping teenagers causing outages, as the depth of analysis required to
fix the problem doesn't involve speculating about the identities and
motives of the perpetrators.

Even as a network operator, you have to respond to incidents based on
what you can do about them, which with a few exceptions, is seperate
from who caused the incident, or why they did it.

The "Why's" of network outages have more to do with "why didn't it
fail over and how can be make sure it does next time?", than "are
cow tipping terrorists rampaging through my network?".

There is a human tendency to react to situations using
information from the very edge of our knowledge and understanding,
("It must be something to do with superstrings! Just let me do some
reasearch and I'll get back to you about the *real* cause of these
network problems..") and this is something we have to take into
account when working on problems so we don't get sidetracked from
solving the problem at hand.

Cheers,

--
batz