Re: IP address fee??

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Fri Sep 06 13:22:04 2002

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:41:07AM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> I'd bet most of the customers I deal with learned networking from OS
> manuals or CCNA study books, all of which still teach classful
> addressing as the primary method.  All of the ones I work with use the
> term "C" or "class C" to refer to a /24, and all are noticeably slower
> when dealing with non-/24 masks.
>
> The point of communication is to get an idea across; if most of the
> people you communicate with don't understand slash notation, then you
> use terms they're familiar with even if they're imprecise or inaccurate.
>
> I think NANOG's ISP-centric membership may skew the perception of our
> lexicon's state.  Most network operators are not ISPs.

And half the internet's users type "u r kewl", and think that ethernet is
a broadband connection.

Just because a misconception is popular doesn't mean we should indulge it.
:)

Think of it as a public service, if you make an effort to say "/24", and
someone asks and you explain it, thats one less confused person
circulating around teaching others.