Re: Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

  • From: batz
  • Date: Fri Sep 06 10:44:22 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Pawlukiewicz Jane wrote:

:would be difficult to reach. I'd have to run a model to be sure, but
:every one of the major seven have rerouting methodologies that would
:recover from the loss. And I don't think they exclusively peer at

Even if we were to model it, the best data we could get for
the "Internet" would be BGP routing tables. These are also
subjectve views of the rest of the net. We could take a full
table, map all the ASN adjacencies, and then pick arbtrary
ASN's to "fail", then see who is still connected, but we are
still dealing with connectivity relatve to us and our peers,
even 5+ AS-hops away.

I would imagine this is one of the tasks CAIDA.org is probably
working on, as it seems to fall within their mission.

So even if we all agreed upon a common disaster to hypothesize
on, there would be little common ground to be had, as our
interpretations could only be political arguments over what is
most important, because there is no technically objective view
of the network to forge agreement on.

Cheers,

--
batz