Re: IP address fee??

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Thu Sep 05 15:31:00 2002

Thus spake "Richard A Steenbergen" <[email protected]>
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 11:00:43AM -0700, Jeff Shultz wrote:
> >
> > Possibly because that is what they are still teaching them as in
> > school?
> >
> > Seriously... I'm not sure that the teachers I had for networking and
> > systems admin had ever heard of CIDR.
> >
> > The textbooks hadn't. It was a nice bump in the learning curve when I
> > hit the real world.
>
> I've never seen a text book which had any relevance to modern networking
> which didn't cover CIDR.

Sadly, most texts I've read, and certainly all the current courseware I've
looked at, still teach classful addressing and subnetting as the primary method
with a sidebar on CIDR as the "new" method.

> Perhaps if we all made a conscious effort to avoid using the term, new
> people who are learning from the examples they see around them would stop
> picking up on it as "how things work".
>
> History is nice, but not knowing when to give up and move on is just sad.

The term class C sticks because it's so useful; you'll note that class [AB]
aren't used much colloquially.  This is how English evolves.