Re: Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Sep 05 12:51:50 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 [email protected] wrote:
> very much like to avoid doing the research in a vaccuum.  I was hoping
> a discussion on NANOG wold be a good first step.  The project is quite
> hot with the politicos and I very much want to make sure to best
> recommendations are made.  Formal industrsy cooperation is one side of
> this, but I think a lot of information can be gained from an informal
> approach as well.  Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated

http://www.infosecuritymag.com/2002/sep/2002survey/voices/verylarge.shtml

On security reporting...
"Since Sept. 11, state, local and federal authorities have tried to get
their arms around the potential threats to the nation's
infrastructure--including the telecommunications infrastructure. They have
asked us questions like, 'What are your 100 most vulnerable places in the
network?'"

"As much as we would like to help the government in its attempt to help
us, we believe it would be counterproductive to share such information
widely because if it were released, it would provide a terrorist with a
roadmap to our key locations. Unless the government agrees that it can
protect our information, we will continue to respectfully decline such
blanket requests."

Bill Smith
CTO and President of Interconnection Services, BellSouth