Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

  • From: sgorman1
  • Date: Thu Sep 05 12:46:30 2002

Thanks for all the answers on the previous question about Equinix.
The reason for the question is that we are working on a study here at
George Mason on assesing the vulnerbilities of the Internet and
telecommunications infrastructure to physical attack.  One part that
we are looking at are the vulnerbilites of interconnection facilites.

Doomsday scenarios like 60 Hudson street being a target instead of the
WTC or the loss of MAE east, etc.  The earlier question about Equinix
and the Big 7 was really a vulnerbility question.  Are interonnection
locations aggreating or dispersing.  How real of a threat is the
physical loss of a major interconnection point.  Incidents like the
Balitmore train tunnel wreck point in one direction.

We are working on putting several models together to try and simulate
some of these scenarios with varying degrees of success, but I would
very much like to avoid doing the research in a vaccuum.  I was hoping
a discussion on NANOG wold be a good first step.  The project is quite
hot with the politicos and I very much want to make sure to best
recommendations are made.  Formal industrsy cooperation is one side of
this, but I think a lot of information can be gained from an informal
approach as well.  Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

sean