RE: IRR listing of IANA-reserved, a question..

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Thu Sep 05 00:50:41 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 [email protected] wrote:

> I used the list posted at iana and created the list in the what I think
> is better for use by own whois server. Its likely to be of use to others.
>
> Also based on suggestion by Sean Donelan column has been added if
> /8 block is or should be routable or not (my own opinion).
>
> The list is available at http://www.completewhois.com/iana-ipv4-addresses
>
> I'm also posting it here below (you're free to modify or not and use it
> for whatever purposes you desire):

92 /8s reserved...

Since the start of 1999, ARIN has grown by 6 /8s, APNIC and RIPE by 4
each, for a total of 14 /8s in almost 4 years. Call it an even /4 per 4
years, for an average of a /6 per year.

Now, assume some acceleration in growth...say global assignment increases
to /7 per year starting next year, which I think is unreasonable but
illustrative for the sake of the point.

That would still provide space for the next 10+ years.

And looking at the list, there are still several companies who have
unreasonable allocations. You have weird things like Eli Lilly and
Company, Ford, US Postal Service, Prudential Securities, Interop Show
Network, Halliburton Company, Apple, Xerox, Computer Sciences Corporation,
etc. I'm sure these companies have legitimate needs for large amounts of
address space, but they most likely don't even need a /8 combined.

Surely the US-DOD (with 10 /8s to their name) would like to renumber into
rfc1918 space for a myriad of reasons. If not, one would think that can be
reduced considerably.

This is all ignoring the considerable amount of dead space in 128/2. Does
anybody keep statistics about what percentage of useable space is
announced?

So...my question is, without a marketable product, and without a need for
the considerable future, will IPv6 remain a barely supported protocol for
too long to be implemented? Will IPv6 be surpassed by a superior protocol
before it becomes neccessary to be implemented? 10 years is a long time...

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access