RE: IRR listing of IANA-reserved, a question..

  • From: william
  • Date: Wed Sep 04 16:55:00 2002

> List the 128-191/8 allocations first. Getting this information from the
> RIR's has been tedious.
Unless IANA was responsible for those initial allocations, it should not
be IANA's task to make this list. And if IANA makes such a list I think it
should be separate from the /8 list presented at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

I'd much rather have regional registries list information for customers
for all blocks for companies that are located in their territory. And
that means information for initial allocations made prior to APNIC/RIPE
should be moved to those registraries with link available from ARIN. All
those /8 which IANA currently lists as having  multiple registries are in
reality in ARIN's database currently so we might as well consider ARIN to
be responsible registry, however in case where majority of allocations in
that block are going to custoers in other region, IANA should consider
having another RIR be made reponsible for that /8 block.

My opinion is that we have chosen right approach by having a heirchy of
responsibilities for ip allocations, i.e. IANA->RIR->ISP->customer.
We should try to keep to this strategy and for old records have the
information transfered to approriate authority. IANA should only keep
records for entire /8 in the end.