RE: Network Routing without Cisco or Juniper?

  • From: Derek Samford
  • Date: Wed Sep 04 11:05:58 2002

Another box I personally feel is very overlooked is Riverstone. They
make an excellent box, the CLI is incredible (especially for maintenance
windows. When will Cisco learn to have a Scratchpad or a commit
feature?), and all-in-all they are a very feature rich box. The only
*major* problem I had to do with BGP actually was a fault of their being
RFC-Compliant. I believe this was about a year ago, they dropped the
peer on a bogus prefix, that was being carried throughout the net
(Originating from a Qwest client if I remember correctly.) Then again, I
believe this affected more vendors than just RS.

Derek

Of
> jeffrey.arnold
> Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 5:31 AM
> To: Nanog
> Subject: Re: Network Routing without Cisco or Juniper?
>

> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Deepak Jain wrote:
>
> ::  Boxes like Foundry, Extreme, Redback and many others all talk BGP
> ::  (at least to a first approximation) but is their lack of use in
> ::  the core/edge/CPE a lack of scale, stability, performance or just
> ::  interest?
> ::
>
> Foundry makes a very good, very stable bgp speaker. I've had them in
my
> network alongside cisco's and juniper's for a couple of years now, and
> i've never run into any bgp implementation problems that i would
consider
> major. A few annoying bugs here and there, but nothing significantly
worse
> than C or J.
>
> Beyond the fact that not too many people are familiar with foundry's
> gear, I tend to think that foundry has lost face in the service
provider
> world for non-bgp related issues. ACL problems and CAM size issues
have
> come up in really large installs (multi GBps, hundreds of thousands of
> flows, etc). Foundry is also behind cisco and juniper in features -
GRE