Re: IRR listing of IANA-reserved, a question..

  • From: Daniel Karrenberg
  • Date: Wed Sep 04 07:20:15 2002

Speaking for myself too:

I have been wanting an *authoritative* *single* listing of unallocated address space
for at least 6 years. Note that this is at a finer granularity than the IANA
allocations list and it would have much more frequent changes than the IANA list
as address space is allocated to local registries.

However it could include a more coarse data set that changes less frequently for those
that do not want or need the higher granularity.

The only way to make this happen is for the RIRs to collect this data among themselves
and publish it regularly. Because of the possible ramifications of errors in this list
it is not as simple to do that reliably as it may seem at first glance; but it should
be done.

I know that the RIRs have efforts underway to publish such authoritative lists.
I do not know the exact status of this work. But I fully agree with your requirement
for a *single* *authoritative* list.

Of course I would use it in the routers I operate. However these are not significant
to many peoiple these days.

Daniel

PS: I do not care at all about the format as long as it is readily machine parseable.

Daniel