Re: AT&T NYC

  • From: bdragon
  • Date: Mon Sep 02 22:50:28 2002

> Which is exactly what you are doing when you inject nailed routes into bgp.
>
> So, why do you need IGP such as OSPF again?
>
> Alex

To carry the bgp next-hops around the network? You could add in statics
for every next-hop on every router, but this kind of configuration is
complex and prone to errors such as loops in relatively minor cases.
statically routing every next-hop "does not scale". Not to mention
that many of us like the "compare igp metric" portion of the BGP decision
tree.

Having had the displeasure of having to deal with a network which had
static routes as its sole igp, I'ld never want to see _that_ again.
Thankfully, we managed to merely migrate the customers off that network,
rather than even try to pull apart the twisty maze of static routes.