Re: Praise to XO's Security/Abuse

  • From: Simon Lyall
  • Date: Sat Aug 31 05:16:46 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, JC Dill wrote:
> On 04:36 PM 8/30/02, John M. Brown wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  >Jason at XO's security/abuse staff.  Very helpful chap
>
> Indeed he is.  Which is why I'm totally mystified about why rfc-ignorant
> insists that my domain doesn't have a working abuse address.  I would
> privately email the admin at rfc-ignorant about this problem, but, well....
> (see below)

RFC-ignorant is a little agressive sometimes. A while back they were
blocking all of APNIC address ranges because they didn't have a contact
email addresses in ARIN's whois database.

The again such heavy-handed blocking isn't confined small anti-spam
organisations like RFC-ignorant or Spews. New Zealand and Australian ISPs
have to deal all the time with large providers who decide to block large
address ranges.

PBI had a email block for 202/8 a month or 3 back (not sure if it's gone
yet) and another medium sized North American provider (whos name escapes
me) currently blocks mail from 202/7 .

At least with RFC-ignorant you know who to contact and they have proper
records of what they are blocking, with other organisations you usually
have to jump though about half a dozen people till you find someone to
actually look at the filters and realize they were put in by some
nightship admin the week before because he got a spam via some open relay
in Korea.

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: [email protected]
Senior Network/System Admin |  Postmaster  | Home: [email protected]