RE: Broadening the IPv6 discussion

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Fri Aug 30 12:42:32 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> > > Maybe the p2p vendors should implement IPv6, it might also
> > > take a while until RIAA finds them again :-)

> > Then I hope they'll implement RFC 3041, otherwise the RIAA
> > will go on a massive MAC address hunt...

> Hmm a MAC... and then (sweet, dude) ?
> I still don't get it why that would be a problem, simply because:
> - one can change your IP by hand and/or automagically (RFC 3041 like you
> mentioned)
> - MAC's can be changed (ifconfig hwaddr... )

Yes, but rebooting each time you change the MAC address for your windows
box gets somewhat tiresome after a while...

> And then still.. they know that 'something/one' from a certain /48 did
> 'something'.

Ok, first of all: it was a joke. I guess I should have included a :-)

Second: that the record industry might think it's a good idea has little
bearing on it being actually a good idea. I have no trouble believing they
would subpoena ethernet card sales records from stores to find out MAC
addresses to go after people who trade MP3s if they thought there was a 1%
chance it would do their cause any good. And it might, since most PC users
don't know what a MAC address is, let alone how to change it.

> So what, if you pay at a store with your VISA or AMEX or simply your
> bankcard.
> That company holds at least your accountnumber, let's crossreference
> that.

Never heard of cash?

(BTW your post wout be easier to read if the lines were < 80 chars.)

> Same thing (IMHO ;) as the IP address thing, it pops up at several
> places and they
> can do many statistical stuff with it for behaviour research, buy styles
> etc.

Yes. I use a static address that is easily correlated with lots of
real-life info about me, and I'm not always happy about that.

> ipv6 [-p] gpu UseAnonymousAddresses [yes|no|always|Counter]
> that's how you turn that stupid feature off, it is annoying IMHO and
> quite useless as

Why is it stupid, annoying and useless?

Iljitsch van Beijnum