RE: Broadening the IPv6 discussion

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Thu Aug 29 11:08:23 2002

Hmm. I'm afraid that I have to disagree with just about everything you've
said :) . I haven't seen any enterprise folks demanding v6 - If VOIP and
PDA's (?) use up their IP addresses, they can easily ask for more. The more
you use, the more you get. There is no shortage of v4 space.

China and Japan are not mandating anything, AFAIK. I believe that v6
deployment is being encouraged by some countries, and the spread of 3G is
helping things along, but we have yet to see really widespread v6
deployments anywhere.

Basically, major backbone networks will deploy v6 when it makes economic
sense for them to do so. Right now, there is no demand and no revenue
upside. I don't expect this to change in the near future.

v6 is, currently, a solution in search of a problem. v4 space is being
consumed slowly, but we are quite some time from a crisis. Of course, even
when we "consume" all such ipv4 space, there are still expedients that can
be used, including making v4 assets tradable and fungible.

- Dan

Irwin Lazar Said...