Re: Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Wed Aug 28 21:50:44 2002

From: Paul Vixie <[email protected]>
>i measure success by the fraction:
>
>	rejected_spam / total_spam
>
>thus if i can reject 6000/10000 that may not seem better than rejecting
>1000/4000 since i ended up dealing with 4000 received spams rather than
>3000, but it actually does mean that my situation got better
>_compared_to_having_done_nothing_.

Fair enough but let me explain why I find this unsatisfying.

It's like I'm living in a neighborhood where the crime rate is rising
and rising, and you're "selling" security grates and better locks.

They even seem to keep the crooks out of the bedroom at night for a
while anyhow, so that's your measure, often keeps you from being
murdered!

The problem is, the crooks are still banging at the doors, trying to
crowbar their way in, etc.

Let me give two common spam examples to show this is a very tight
analogy:

a) The other day our mail servers were groaning unusually.

What was happening was that someone had firehosed MSN.COM with a spam
with a return address forged with our domain.

So even tho we were blocking it, in fact the bounce user didn't exist
so we didn't really have to block it, all of MSN's server power being
pointed at us trying to return many thousands of bounces as fast as
they could was quite painful.

b) A few weeks ago I counted over 200 open relays simultaneously
spewing the same spam at us.

The point being they will fill your pipes, cause you to need more
servers just to run these various filters, run our people ragged, etc.

So, it's nice that someone is providing security grates and alarm
systems etc, but it'd be nice if the crack (spam) houses would just
shut down entirely so we could sit on our porches and chit-chat
without worrying about the constant drive-by shootings.

If you get my drift.

And that's going to require socio-legal approaches, not ever stronger
security grates.

Because sooner or later you can't see out the grated windows any more
or get some air through them, and you're afraid to go outside...

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]           | http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*